As many of you know, I'm a comics writer, and occasionally I post looking for artists to work with on upcoming projects. Below is a list of stories in need of an artist.
In the next 18 months, my focus is shifting dramatically. From here forward, my primary method will be to work with professional comic artists on pitch packages for mini-series, to submit aggressively to publishers.
This will be an adjustment from focusing on completing and self-publishing first issues and one-shots. I will be working less and less with aspiring artists, and more and more with professionals. This will mean that you guys will see fewer comics from me in the next two years, but editors will be seeing a lot more. It's time I got serious about getting published and moving to the next level.Plan A: Pitch Package
- Professional comic pencillers only - experienced and published up and comers
- I will finish the mini-series outline and the script for (at least) the first issue
- Art package to include six completed pages, two covers, and character designs
- I'm flexible with compensation, shares, etc. We can discuss privately.
- Total time to complete 3-6 monthsPlan B: Full issues
- For artists who aren't yet published, but have experience finishing comics
- We will complete a first issue or one-shot comic book
- There is no page rate for this work. We'll both be working for exposure, experience, and a back-end share.
The process and logistics in both cases are fairly flexible. It's something I work out case by case with each artist, as we're organizing the project. I'm always open for discussion. My philosophy is that it is better to have a realistic deadline that we actually meet, than an optimistic timeline that we don't.Before I move on to the stories, a few caveats...
- I am only looking for pencillers (or penciller-inkers) with experience finishing comic pages and stories.
- Therefore, please only reply if you have finished comic pages you can show me.
- Most of these are not paid up front. (I can budget about three comics per year with help from Kickstarter.)
- As I am targeting second-tier publishers, I am only looking for comics artists who are ready for professional work.
- I am NOT
looking for cover artists. My covers are all by the interior artists, or friends who are industry professionals.
- I will post separately if I am looking for a colorist or inker.
- I actually am looking for a proficient comics letterer.Now, on to the stories... Babylon's Bastard
- (Mini-series) He isn't a brave hero, a cunning megalomaniac, a figure of legend, or an enlightened philosopher-- He's just a bastard who has lived through every era of known history, making enemies along the way.DOT! #1 & #2 - Late for Work
- (Short story, format flexible) A cosmic sci-fi adventure in the style of Jack Kirby, featuring Dot, the servant of the space god Oam the Infinite. She's a spunky modern girl (for the early 1960s) who has light-hearted adventures. (This will be an ongoing series of shorts.) Endless Summer
- (Mini-series or extended one-shot) This story takes place in a world that is always summer, with vast expanses of sea and sky, and ships that float in both. A nymph faces the loneliness of knowing that anyone sees her will be blinded, or worse. Flee the Greywood
- (Mini-series) A bloody and terrifying, low fantasy take on the classic "orphan kidnapped by elves/faeries" trope. Elves are horrible sharp-toothed creatures at the heart of a great forest, who "adopt" orphan children to feast on their terror and blood. In the isolated village of Valdowne, orphans are traditionally adopted by the majestic but alien elves of the nearby forest kingdom. When Tomas' parents die, and he is sent into the heart of the Greywood, he discovers a nightmare of cruelty and brutality. Along with his fellow prisoners-- the young Josef, dwarven girl Dreyva, and a half-elf slave warrior Helegiel-- Tomas escapes the living castle of the Elves, only to decide to remain in the Greywood to turn the tables.G'rana Mankin
- (Mini-series or extended one-shot) G'rana has an unfortunate origin, in the eyes of her people. She's doomed to be an outsider, because she is a disgusting half-human! Seen another way, she's surprisingly pretty, and almost human-looking, for a goblin. In the right light, she might inspire a human male to consider making some (ugh) quarter-goblins.Legacy of Light
- (Mini-series or extended one-shot) Miss Raya was America's first super-heroine, and left a great legacy behind. America's Super-Sweetheart helped turn the tide in the Second World War, thanks to her super strength, invulnerability, and atomic-powered lights-- until she met her fate at the fall of Berlin. Two decades later, as a new generation of heroes arose, a worthy successor took on the name for a time. Now, the grand-neice of the original Miss Raya has announced on her 18th birthday that she had somehow inhereted the powers of her famous relative. Could Rayana be the hottest celebrity in living memory? Her early appearance as both a presumed-hero and as a celebrity could mean too much pressure. So far, she hasn't shown herself to be as courageous as her role-models. Perhaps there's still time for her to prove herself.The Letters: Leviathan
- (12 pages) A modern-day British submarine encounters an undersea terror that shouldn't exist! (Detailed tech, weapons, and uniforms... and horrible tentacled monsters?) The Letters
(mini-series or ongoing) High-concept series, featuring modern military and occult elements. The concept and story here is still top secret. Milan
- (mini-series) After years of exile, Duke Prospero of Milan has returned to rule once again. Can he keep the city-state together without resorting to the arcane arts, breaking a promise to his daughter-- or will he need his new assistant, Mercutio of Verona, to lie to her for him? Origin
- (Mini-series or extended one-shot) What are the events that make a great man? The tragic events that build a man great power, and the burden of wielding that strength. At the every end we see that this isn't the story of a hero, but of how a few moments can lead to villainy. Silas Shanks and the Prince of Rails
- (mini-series or ongoing) When rumor begins to spread among the hobo baronies that an heir to the Prince of Rails has been discovered, grizzled monster hunter Silas Shanks must return to the secret heartland of his people to find out of this young Prince is as he appears. Titan
- (mini-series) Everyone knows the story of Prometheus, his stolen gift and terrible punishment-- but legend says he was freed by the hero Hercules. What becomes of even the most clever of titans, unbound after an eternity of torture?Vitus Hale
- (Mini-series or extended one-shot) Grizzled Sheriff Vitus Hale keeps the peace in Pyride Gulch, California-- with nothing more than hard work, stern words, the threat of violence, the trust of the everyday folks in the town ...and a laser gun. A time traveller from the distant future, Hale is stranded in a tough time and place.
- Priority Story
- New Story
If you have questions, please comment here.
If you are interested (and understand the criteria above) please send me a Note, including your email address. I will follow-up with a Google Doc that includes more info.